New York – October 24, 2011 – Clear Channel Radio, the leading media company in America with a greater reach than any other radio or television outlet, today announced its support of the second annual Small Business Saturday (SBS), a national initiative to encourage people to shop at local, independently-owned merchants in their communities this November 26. Clear Channel’s participation, which will span 850 radio stations and reach 237 million monthly listeners, is part of the company’s commitment to support local communities across the country.
“Clear Channel is participating in Small Business Saturday because local merchants are the lifeblood of the communities in which we live and work, and are integral to the health of our economy,” said John Hogan, CEO, Clear Channel Radio. “Our radio stations are deeply rooted in hundreds of distinct communities across the country. We are harnessing the power of our national voice, our relationships between on-air talent and loyal listeners and local community leaders, as well as our unique programming initiatives, to drive consumers to shop at their local small businesses this November 26th.”
“We are delighted that Clear Channel has chosen to join the growing movement behind Small Business Saturday,” said Maryann Fitzmaurice Reilly, senior vice-president of American Express OPEN. “American Express is the founding partner of Small Business Saturday and will be supporting this year’s efforts with robust marketing to encourage participation by consumers, community groups, corporations and independently-owned small businesses. Clear Channel’s deep presence in local markets and the resources they have committed to this effort will really help get the word out about the importance of small business to each community that they serve.”
Clear Channel’s Small Business Saturday (SBS) activities, which will launch on October 24 and run through November 26, are designed to educate listeners on the importance of independently-owned businesses, impact their sales, and drive value for merchants. Activities include:
- Public Interest Campaign – Beginning October 24, Clear Channel’s 850 radio stations will launch an on-air public interest campaign that includes a series of messages from select public officials as well as recent survey data affirming the important impact small businesses have on the economy.
- On-Air Advocacy by Popular Station Personalities – Popular radio personalities will serve as influential advocates and drive listeners to action by championing SBS on-air and online, encouraging listeners to pledge to shop small on Facebook and buy local.
- Local Small Business Stories – Local stations will develop and air compelling, market-specific radio spots that showcase local business success stories which show first-hand how these businesses fuel the economy and support our communities. The spots will include highly customized local stories that celebrate individual community merchants.
- Social Media and Digital Integration – Clear Channel’s digital sites, including iHeartRadio, Clear Channel’s industry-leading digital radio service, as well as individual radio station websites and Facebook pages, will feature dynamic Small Business Saturday digital content, including banners, pre-roll video, homepage takeovers and a digital countdown to SBS. Local stations will also deploy Twitter and Facebook to drive attendance to events in their communities.
- Local Advisory Board Activities – Stations will activate their Local Advisory Boards, which are comprised of diverse civic leaders, elected officials and activists, to encourage members to spread the word about SBS and engage local government to do more to support small businesses.
- Community Events – Clear Channel will support local Small Business Saturday events in a number of local markets through on-air mentions, promotions and station remotes hosted by Small Business Saturday’s coalition partner Women Impacting Public Policy (WIPP). Stations will also tweet updates from the activities.
“Our goal is to stimulate small business sales on the biggest shopping weekend of the year by reminding listeners of the impact on their communities,” added Hogan. “The campaign is also intended to give a bigger voice to small business owners.”
About Clear Channel Radio
With 237 million monthly listeners in the U.S., Clear Channel Radio has the largest reach of any radio or television outlet in America. Clear Channel Radio serves 150 cities through 850 owned radio stations. The company’s radio stations and content can be heard on AM/FM stations, HD digital radio channels, Sirius/XM satellite, on the Internet at iHeartRadio.com, on the iHeartRadio mobile application on iPads and smartphones, and used via navigation systems from TomTom, Garmin and others. The company’s operations include radio broadcasting, online and mobile services and products, syndication, music research services and independent media representation. Clear Channel Radio is a division of CC Media Holdings, Inc. (OTCBB: CCMO), a leading global media and entertainment company. More information on the company can be found at www.clearchannel.com and www.ccmediaholdings.com.
Follow us on Twitter at twitter.com/iHeartRadio
Like us on Facebook at facebook.com/iHeartRadio.
Clear Channel Radio
Jessica King, 212-549-0966